Wednesday, 3 May 2017

Where When How Wednesday - Amelie Alden

Welcome to 'Where When How Wednesday'. In these weekly posts I'll be interviewing creatives about their journey into the creative world, their works, and what makes them tick. This week I'm interviewing Southampton based photographic model, Amelie Alden.

Photographer - Shutter Imaging


Firstly, thanks for taking the time to answer some questions for me. We should probably start at the beginning...when and how did you come about getting into the world of modelling?

'I was 17 living alone and looking for cash in hand work, a local studio had advertised wanting normal people to do makeovers on for a few quid for their portfolio, so I did that, he invited me back, the rest is history.'

Photographer - Degsy


Most things, especially online, tend to fall into specific genres and/or gets described as being a specific style. The trouble with this is it's quite subjective, the style someone views something to be can often differ to the style the person creating it views it as. How would you describe the work you are putting out there?

'A celebration of sexuality, sensuality and the female form. Oh, and a bunch of tacky bread and butter stuff in between of course. As you said, it’s subjective - it is up to the viewer what to make of my work.'

Photographer - Macman


Photography, modelling and their related skills, as with most things, can have their share of problems. I personally have a particular problem with self confidence. This confidence issue can and has caused me issues with my photography. Do you find any aspects of modelling particularly challenging?

'Separating myself from my body in photoshoots. There are some parts of my body that personally I don’t like or have hangups with, however as a model, your body is your product and it’s been chosen for it’s features, and it can be very limiting if you focus on your hang ups - for the photographer as well as the pose.'

Photographer - Darren Lee,  Taken At - Sandon Studio


In my series 'Foto Inspiration Friday' I share the people, images, places etc that I find give me inspiration. Who, or what, or where do you draw inspiration from?

'I love pre raphaelite paintings that show nude forms with a lot of sinew, muscle tone, and in flowing poses mimicking movement. I get a lot of inspiration from other models, too - not only Purpleport but I am addicted to Pinterest.'

Photographer - Macman


Sometimes images hold a special significance to us. It can be the first image we ever made, it can be an image drawing attention to a cause close to our hearts, it can simply be an image of someone we love. Do you have an image or images that hold a special significance to you?

'An art nude set shot at Haytor on Dartmoor - there was the most overwhelmingly beautiful sunset I ever saw which almost brought me to tears how amazing it was, and how close we were to it, and it was just a beautiful place and experience and shooting art nude there felt even closer to it all.'

Photographer - Hugh Jorgan


Photoshoots can sometimes leave you open to scary or funny situations. What's the scariest or funniest situation you've found yourself in on a shoot?

'One time in a forest, I climbed across a fallen tree which was lying across a stream. I carefully positioned myself into an art nude pose to realise I had also positioned myself over some sort of wasps nest. It was to say the least both scary and funny trying to manoeuvre off the tree butt naked without falling in the stream or being stung/screaming.'

Photographer - Raphael


We've talked about your start, we've talked about your current work, let's quickly chat about the future. What have you got coming up this year, more of the same? Any special projects? Plus in regards to a more long term plan, where are you hoping your creative journey will take you in the years to come?

'I’ve been modelling ten years now and am pretty happy where I am - I’m in a place where I can pick and choose my shoots, live in a free and easy way, and volunteer in other fields - that’s where I might build a new career in future. But I’m quite happy like this for now.'

Photographer - Arrow Photography


When I speak to photographers I ask about their gear, it's only fair you get to geek out too...do you have any go to items you can't live without?

'Of course makeup/hair bits. But I think the right background music is important, it can make or break a mood or expression.'



Now for the shameless self promotion part of the interview...where can people find you and your work?

'I am pretty low key but I like instagram, and would love it if you followed me - I’m @ameliealdenmodel and I regularly post behind the scenes and shooty bits.

My most up to date portfolio is publicly displayed at: http://purpleport.com/portfolio/ameliealden1'

Photographer - Hugh Jorgan


I'd like to thank Amelie again for taking the time to answer a few questions for me, be sure to check out all the links above for more of her work, as well as the links attached to the images for the other creatives involved in creating them.


Ian
http://facebook.com/guffoggthegeek
http://twitter.com/guffoggthegeek

No comments:

Post a Comment