Wednesday, 22 February 2017

Where When How Wednesday - Bill Hume

Welcome to 'Where When How Wednesday'. In these weekly posts I'll be interviewing creatives about their journey into the creative world, their works, and what makes them tick. This week I'm interviewing photographer, Bill Hume.


Firstly, thanks for taking the time to answer some questions for me. We should probably start at the beginning...When and how did you come about getting into the world of photography?

'In the late 1950s early 60s I asked for and was given a camera for my birthday. A second hand Kodak Brownie 44A. I was a happy bunny.'


Photography, especially online, tends to fall into specific genres and/or gets described as being a specific style. The trouble with this is it's quite subjective, the style someone views an image to be can often differ to the style the person creating it views it as. How would you describe the work you are putting out there?

'Hopefully...different. I like different and I like experimentation. I've been trying out various combinations of digital and analogue techniques, eg. printing digital negatives on acetate for contact printing. The results can be scanned for more work in Photoshop later and also allows me to experiment with such things as solarization and cyanotypes. I've even done cyano on pieces of driftwood.

Another favourite of mine is printing out on cartridge paper and then laying it on another sheet of cartridge paper when both are wet. Apply a bit of pressure and the results can be 'interesting', particularly after scanning and re-combining with the original in Photoshop. 

More recently I've been creating images on unusual paper substrates e.g. rice paper.'


Photography can have it's share of problems. I personally have a particular problem with self confidence. This confidence issue can and has caused me issues with my photography. Do you find any aspects of photography particularly challenging?

'If my photography is not challenging, I'm doing something wrong. With regard to self confidence, as I only create images for myself, that is, I must like them, the opinion of others is of little concern to me.'


In my series 'Foto Inspiration Friday' I share the people, images, places etc that I find give me inspiration. Who, or what, or where do you draw inspiration from?

'Sometimes from Flickr, there are a few people I follow there. Sometimes it's just something I happen to notice (I tend to walk around in 'stalking' mode when I have a camera with me). At other times it's the camera which dictates what is possible in any situation. I also draw inspiration from art, mostly modern art and try to visit exhibitions when possible.'


Sometimes images hold a special significance to us. It can be the first image we ever made, it can be an image drawing attention to a cause close to our hearts, it can simply be an image of someone we love. Do you have an image or images that hold a special significance to you?

'Difficult to choose just one as I've been making images for over 50 years, but I have an image I called Monotonous Languor...


...which I really like. Nobody else seems to but hey ho.'


Photoshoots can sometimes leave you open to scary or funny situations. What's the scariest or funniest situation you've found yourself in because of photography?

'That's easy because it was scary and funny at the same time. Picture me in a small studio with a rather under dressed young lady model with two 10ft long snakes draped over her... Snakes do not take direction well.'


We've talked about your start in photography, we talked about your current work, let's quickly chat about the future. What have you got coming up this year? More of the same? Any special projects? Plus in regards to a more long term plan, where are you hoping your creative journey will take you in the years to come?

'Who knows, I view my photography as an adventure. You don't need to arrive somewhere to have a good and productive journey.'


We can't really talk photography without discussing gear, so...what is your 'go to' equipment that you find yourself gravitating towards the most on shoots?

'My workhorse is the Canon 7D with a couple of zooms and a fixed 50mm. My 'carry about' is a Canon G11. I also shoot with a Hasselblad 500c/m and a 1937 Leica 35mm. Add to that a few 16mm still cameras and that's about it.'


Now for the shameless self promotion part of the interview...where can people find more of you and your work?

'http://www.flickr.com/photos/billhume_3d_2d/
Ignore the weddings and events as I sometimes get blackmailed into doing these things.'


I'd like to thank Bill again for taking the time to answer a few questions for me.

Ian
http://facebook.com/guffoggthegeek
http://twitter.com/guffoggthegeek

No comments:

Post a Comment