Wednesday, 4 January 2017

Where When How Wednesday - Poppy Haskell

Welcome to 'Where When How Wednesday'. In these weekly posts I'll be interviewing creatives about their journey into the creative world, their works, and what makes them tick. This week I'm interviewing photographic model, Poppy Haskell.



Hi Poppy, thanks for taking the time to answer a few questions for me. We should probably start at the beginning...when and how did you come about getting into the world of modelling?

'I was spotted at the king’s theatre when I was performing in a ballet. I was playing the role of a dolly in a toy room and a lady slipped into my dressing room at half time and said that she wanted my face for her teen clothing brand! I then started modelling for prom dress boutiques in the local area and it all took off from there!'

Photographer - Marcin K


Most things, especially online, tend to fall into specific genres and/or gets described as being a specific style. The trouble with this is it's quite subjective, the style someone views something to be can often differ to the style the person creating it views it as. How would you describe the work you are putting out there?

'I think this is a great question. This is probably what I struggle with most about modelling – I often shoot to implied topless when I am of the understanding it will be edited in right way as to not look too ‘raw’ and unprofessional. I also started only shooting to this level when it was a more fashion type shoot and not in any way a ‘glamour’ like shoot or overtly sexual. So although this was mentioned in my levels I feel because these descriptive words are so ambiguous it was interpreted that I was happy to create very suggestive, almost erotic images which wasn’t the case.

With that being said my key word to describe what I put out there would be CLASSY, and I hope that whether its beauty, fashion or lingerie that I’m shooting that this theme remains.'

Photographer - CSP


Photography, modelling and their related skills, as with most things, can have their share of problems. I personally have a particular problem with self-confidence. This confidence issue can and has caused me issues with my photography. Do you find any aspects of modelling particularly challenging?

'The thing I find most challenging is staying true to yourself with what you deem acceptable – so many photographers are respectful, talented and wonderful but at least once a month I am put on the spot and asked to push my levels whilst on a shoot, or pose in a way that is obviously not my style or sent messages asking me to do bondage style shoots. It’s surprising how uncomfortable I have felt saying no to people when I am well within my rights to. This is something I am working on daily to improve in! Which I suppose is a confidence issue too, really.'

Photographer - Marcin K


In my series 'Foto Inspiration Friday' I share the people, images, places etc that I find give me inspiration. Who, or what, or where do you draw inspiration from?

'I draw inspiration from Haris Nukem and Abigail Ratchford both on Instagram. Audrey Hepburn movies and live music always gets me in the mood to create newer and better images. 'Dance me to the end of love’ always leaves my mind whirling with ideas.'


Sometimes images hold a special significance to us. It can be the first image we ever made, it can be an image drawing attention to a cause close to our hearts, it can simply be an image of someone we love. Do you have an image or images that hold a special significance to you?

'I do have one favourite of myself that I feel is quite ‘stripped back’ and I feel I really look like me. Not a makeup artist or photographers interpretation of me.'

Photographer - Paul In Focus


Photoshoots can sometimes leave you open to scary or funny situations. What's the scariest or funniest situation you've found yourself in on a shoot?

'I once was booked by a male photographer to take shots of their denim brand at their home studio – I turned up, knocked on the door and they led me to their kitchen where they asked if I wanted a tea. After chatting for a good 20 minutes I wondered why they had not yet talked about their brand or showed me where we would be shooting and why they were so interested in me… Their son then walked through the door with a brunette girl about my age and said ‘come and meet Sarah then, Dad’ Or something like that… The dad had thought I was his son’s new girlfriend who was coming round to meet him that day it was Soooooooooo embarrassing as it looked like I had been playing along!!! And yes this really did happen.'



We've talked about your start, we've talked about your current work, let's quickly chat about the future. What have you got coming up this year, more of the same? Any special projects? Plus in regards to a more long term plan, where are you hoping your creative journey will take you in the years to come?

'I’m hoping to get some bigger name brands under my belt and be a bit more "known". I have also been toying with a few presenting jobs and have a few tv presenting auditions lined up in the new year. One station are looking for ‘well spoken, sky sports sizzle’ so let’s hope that’s me! I also want to be a monster energy girl so if anyone can make that happen holla at me!'

Photographer - Kris Karl


When I speak to photographers I ask about their gear, it's only fair you get to geek out too...do you have any go to items you can't live without?

'For shoots: baby oil, blistex lip balm, glitter, bras, knickers, lip liner, fake eye lashes……Yeah, it’s fun being a girl!'

Photographer - Kris Karl


Now for the shameless self promotion part of the interview...where can people find you and your work?

'You'll see me at all the British touring car events next year and perhaps on ITV2 sports. Often I'm on the Pushka fashion boutique website but head over to my Instagram for more updates: @Poppyhaskell'



I'd like to thank Poppy again for taking the time to answer a few questions for me, be sure to check out all the links above for more of her work, as well as the links attached to the images for the other creatives involved in creating them.

Ian
http://facebook.com/guffoggthegeek
http://twitter.com/guffoggthegeek

No comments:

Post a Comment