Wednesday, 18 January 2017

Where When How Wednesday - Delta Topaz

Welcome to 'Where When How Wednesday'. In these weekly posts I'll be interviewing creatives about their journey into the creative world, their works, and what makes them tick. This week I'm interviewing Leeds based photographic model, Delta Topaz.

Photographer - Jonathan Wootton


Hi Delta, thanks for taking the time to answer a few questions for me. We should probably start at the beginning...when and how did you come about getting into the world of modelling?

'Three years ago, back in the days when I had blonde hair I had a shoot with the amazing Nicola Grimshaw-Mitchell (MyBoudoir) and it was an amazing experience...

Photographer - MyBoudoir

...I'd seen the likes of SINderella Rockafella, October Divine and Romanie Smith and always wondered...until about 5 months ago when I decided to get into it properly...Delta Topaz was born.'


Most things, especially online, tend to fall into specific genres and/or gets described as being a specific style. The trouble with this is it's quite subjective, the style someone views something to be can often differ to the style the person creating it views it as. How would you describe the work you are putting out there?

'As my initial images were of the boudoir variety I didn't want to be typecast into that very genre. So I made it my mission to be a versatile and diverse as I could...to which I believe I have achieved.'



Photography, modelling and their related skills, as with most things, can have their share of problems. I personally have a particular problem with self confidence. This confidence issue can and has caused me issues with my photography. Do you find any aspects of modelling particularly challenging?

'I do think it is a challenging career and/or hobby. Initially it was confidence and I felt a little like a rabbit caught in the headlights, and that showed...until I went into my next shoot and so on. Each bit of advice I've taken on board and worked on, as my style and ethos is constantly evolving.'

Photographer - Eye Candy Photography


In my series 'Foto Inspiration Friday' I share the people, images, places etc that I find give me inspiration. Who, or what, or where do you draw inspiration from?

'For modelling I use my own passion and creativity to inspire my evolution, however there are a few models to name a few that inspire me to be as good as they are: Artemis Fauna, Rosie Robinson, SINderella Rockafella and Romanie Smith... but there's lots!'

Photographer - SpenJ


Sometimes images hold a special significance to us. It can be the first image we ever made, it can be an image drawing attention to a cause close to our hearts, it can simply be an image of someone we love. Do you have an image or images that hold a special significance to you?

'One of my images that has recently had a double FPI (an 'award' on Purpleport) from my portfolio, and Spenj's is the "Penthouse & Pavements" image...

Photographer - SpenJ

...This is significant for me purely because it's the image where I realised what other people see...and I am beautiful. If ever I'm in doubt, I refocus and look back at that image.'

Photographer - Spen J


Photoshoots can sometimes leave you open to scary or funny situations. What's the scariest or funniest situation you've found yourself in on a shoot?

'The only one I can think of would be a funny situation, both myself and Ellis Duke worked with the lovely John Stanton. He had an image that he wanted to produce and this involved a pair of what could only be described as tree loppers or wire cutters for his interpretation. So he'd taken us to this overgrown location to pretend to break into a car yard...so proceeding to do that John was shooting and then in only what I can describe as a carry on film moment he shouted "oooooh you naughty girl" I couldn't contain myself and broke out laughing!'

Photographer - Shane Enright


We've talked about your start, we've talked about your current work, let's quickly chat about the future. What have you got coming up this year, more of the same? any special projects? And in regards to a more long term plan, where are you hoping your creative journey will take you in the years to come?

'2017 for me is still an early journey to establish myself as a serious model, building my reputation and my portfolio. I'm hoping to tour throughout the year to work with those that don't live within 50 miles or so! I'm just going with the flow for now, this is my hobby!'

Photographer - Arvee


When I speak to photographers I ask about their gear, it's only fair you get to geek out too...do you have any go to items you can't live without?

'My glasses ha, or contact lenses...I'm blind as a bat without them. But really makeup is my geek thang!! I'm obsessed!'



Now for the shameless self promotion part of the interview...where can people find you and your work?

'Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/DeltaTopaz/
Instagram - Minxy1886
Twitter - DeltaTopaz
Purpleport - Delta Topaz'

Photographer - SpenJ


I'd like to thank Delta again for taking the time to answer a few questions for me, be sure to check out all the links above for more of her work, as well as the links attached to the images for the other creatives involved in creating them.

Ian
http://facebook.com/guffoggthegeek
http://twitter.com/guffoggthegeek

No comments:

Post a Comment