Wednesday, 9 November 2016

Where When How Wednesday - 1234dist

Welcome to 'Where When How Wednesday'. In these weekly posts I'll be interviewing creatives about their journey into the creative world, their works, and what makes them tick. This week I'm interviewing Craig AKA 1234dist about his recent move into the world of photography.

Model - Louisemac


Hi Craig, thank you for taking the time to answer some questions. We should probably start at the beginning, when and how did you come about getting into the world of photography?

'Being honest, it's only in the last two months I've really started to pay attention to getting the images I want rather than the images I get. I've always been snap happy but never really paid much attention to even having the image in focus. One day I decided it was time to make a change as I love to be challenged so I decided to get a better camera than an iphone and see how good, bad or ugly I could shoot.'

Model - Dante-Layla


Photography, especially online, tends to fall into specific genres and/or gets described as being a specific style. The trouble with this is it's quite subjective, the style someone views an image to be can often differ to the style the person creating it views it as. Do you know what you are looking to put out there, or are you still very much finding your style?

'I always have a spark of inspiration and get get to shoot it quick enough sometimes. As for subjectivity, being a novice I know not everyone will see or be happy with the outcome of my images but as a training system, if it doesn't make it to my cutting room floor, I class it as a good image. As for a specific style, I haven't got one as I've not shot enough of any one thing to decide that it's the genre I want to prioritise.'

Model - Emma Darling


Photography can have it's share of problems. I personally have a particular problem with self confidence. This confidence issue can and has caused me issues with my photography. Have you found any aspects of photography particularly challenging so far?

'I come from a sales background so I'm used to that uncomfortable, out of comfort zone feelings. I think because I have a good idea what I want to shoot and where by the time we are on location it makes both myself and the model at ease and thanks to my humour, most shoots fly by.'

Model - RosieB


In my series 'Foto Inspiration Friday' I share the people, images, places etc that I find give me inspiration. Who, or what, or where do you draw inspiration from?

'It can be from anywhere, tv, film, emails even ebay before now. I also get a lot of pose ideas from other peoples work on PP and I love getting the models input in pre comms.

I also like to message models who say they want to work with me to see if they have an inspirational idea as that would influence how quickly I work with that model.'


Sometimes images hold a special significance to us. It can be the first image we ever made, it can be an image drawing attention to a cause close to our hearts, it can simply be an image of someone we love. Do you have an image or images that hold a special significance to you?

'I think its the images I currently have as my avatar and header on Purpleport at the moment. My Avatar was from my very first shoot with Louisemac and was one of the first images I did with a model that took little or no editing other than changing it to black and white and just loved it. My header picture was my second shoot with a model AlexiLou, also my first nude shoot and a picture I had in my head from initially first planning the location and managed to get exactly what my head had pictured weeks earlier.'

Model - Alexilou


Photoshoots can sometimes leave you open to scary or funny situations. What's the scariest or funniest situation you've found yourself in so far because of photography?

'I was doing an urbex shoot at an abandoned building, on the day before the shoot, I went down to check the location was still suitable and everything was still perfect. When I came back the next day with Dante-Layla we found that the council had come in the day before and completely secured the area. Thankfully with this shoot being in my hometown, I had a backup location handy but it definitely ate into the time we had to shoot.'



We've talked about your start in photography, we talked about your current work, let's quickly chat about the future. What have you got coming up this year, any plans? Any special projects? Plus in regards to a more long term plan, where are you hoping your creative journey will take you in the years to come?

'As of today I am having my first studio shoot at Millwood Studio as a 1-2-1 training session to show me studio lighting and what difference it can make and then come November I'll be hanging my camera up for a while and delving a little deeper into the features of PhotoShop. As I am self teaching, it takes a little longer and needs more focus but I have accumulated a good amount of images to work with now. At the moment I have only managed light manipulation so it will be interesting to get to the image manipulation stages too. I come from an IT background and tend to learn software quickly so I'm hopeful I should be able to improve my ability with the correct editing.'

Model - KierB


We can't really talk photography without discussing gear, so...what is your 'go to' equipment that you find yourself gravitating towards the most on shoots?

'My first four shoots on my profile were done on a Fuji S8000 which was ok as a transition from the iPhone point and click days. I knew it wouldn't be enough to do what I wanted it to do but don't have an unlimited budget so last month I moved to a Nikon D3200 with Shanny Flash. I could see the improvements instantly but was still working in comfort zone jpeg. After a considerable amount of research and use of the groups on PP I moved over to raw and was instantly rewarded with a mountain of tools I previously didn't have which has vastly improved my images. Looking at my profile, and seeing as I'm only two months in, it's really interesting to see the transitions in my images as my ability to not only shoot but edit the shoot to what I want to see. I know I've a long way to go and an uphill struggle but i'm enjoying the journey so far and with a pletara of models and a head full of idea's, the future is bright, with a sepia filter.'

Model - Heather N


Now for the shameless self promotion part of the interview...where can people find more of you and your work?

'As I am still new, I'm not at the stages of having a dedicated website, blog or wordpress so at the moment all my images are available on my purpleport profile...

http://purpleport.com/portfolio/1234dist'



I'd like to thank Craig again for taking the time to answer a few questions for me. Be sure to check out the links for more of his work, and the links attached to the images for the other creatives involved.


Ian
http://facebook.com/guffoggthegeek
http://twitter.com/guffoggthegeek

No comments:

Post a Comment