Friday, 5 August 2016

Foto Inspiration Friday - My Grandfather

Welcome to 'Foto Inspiration Friday', the series in which I not only use a rarely used alternate spelling of photo for the sake of alliteration, but I share with you anything and everything I find inspirational, be it a person, an image, a song, a quote, a place, a pizza...ok, maybe not a pizza but you get the point.

Before I start, this week's 'Foto Inspiration Friday' is, I warn you now, a little deep and a little depressing!

As I mentioned on my 'About' page my grandfather was an avid photographer, and was particularly fond of photographing bridges under construction. I'd love to be able to say this was why he was an inspiration, that I spent hours with him as a child taking pictures, sadly I can't, this was something I found out after he had died.

The reason he's an inspiration is because he died when I was 7. I realise that's a weird sentence but try as I might I can't word it better. What I can do however is try to explain...

If you were to ask me to describe my grandfather to you now, I couldn't. The best I could offer...he had a decent head of hair. That's not because I remember him, that's because I recall it was said years after his death in regards to my biological fathers thinning hair. If I was in possession of photographs of my grandfather I'd know what he looked like, I'd probably be able to remember spending time with him, he wouldn't just feel like some fictional character I have no real connection to. There were photographs of him, there were photographs of me with him, these photographs however were discarded like last week's newspapers by a member of my 'family'. This for lack of a better word 'emptiness' that is caused by not having images of him is why he's inspirational to me. He's the main reason I want to overcome my various anxieties and photograph people. I want to be able to give people images that they're proud of, and that they can give their loved ones to cherish. I want to be able to produce images people look back on in years to come to remember their loved ones and the time they spent together.


Ian
http://facebook.com/guffoggthegeek
http://twitter.com/guffoggthegeek

No comments:

Post a Comment