Friday, 26 August 2016

Foto Inspiration Friday - Henri Cartier-Bresson Quote

Welcome to 'Foto Inspiration Friday', the series in which I not only use a rarely used alternate spelling of photo for the sake of alliteration, but I share with you anything and everything I find inspirational, be it a person, an image, a song, a quote, a place, a pizza...ok, maybe not a pizza but you get the point. This week I'm sharing with you a quote by Henri Cartier-Bresson.


I suffer badly with GAS...ok, I've just realised how bad that sounds! I suffer from Gear Acquisition Syndrome, GAS for short. On a nearly daily basis...on a daily basis I see gear I must have...I see gear I need...I see gear I want but don't really need. I have a list as long as, well me of stuff I must have. It's full of cameras, lenses, gadgets, accessories. I have various wish lists on Amazon, Digital Rev, and any and all photography gear sites. Hell I even have one on Argos and their photography selection is usually poor. Before I carry on, if anyone well off wants to see my list, I'll send you a link...he says in what is a massive case of wishful thinking.

This quote by Henri Cartier-Bresson is something I try to remember when I'm eyeing up that umpteen grand Nikon, and so far it's helped...or that could be the lack of money. Anyway, I think it's a good quote for anyone like me who suffers with GAS. Too often we get sucked into the marketing hype of 'if you buy this camera your images will be world class', and 'this accessory will improve your photography tenfold'. We could all do with remembering the camera gear is merely the tool used to capture our vision, it's not what makes it...it's the rock the otter uses to open it's clam if you will.

With that, I'll leave you with the quote...the quote I'm currently muttering to myself whilst I'm eyeing up the Nikon body that's currently at the top of my wish list.


“It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head.”


Ian
http://facebook.com/guffoggthegeek
http://twitter.com/guffoggthegeek

No comments:

Post a Comment