Monday, 20 June 2016

Macro Madness - Getting To Know My Lens

Welcome to Macro Madness Monday, the series in which I try my hand at 'true' macro photography. In these likely sporadic posts (as I'm sure you can understand, life can hinder shooting at times) I'll be learning, and sharing the in's and out's of shooting with true macro lenses...for those who aren't in the loop, unlike normal lenses a true macro lens reproduces what you are shooting in a 1:1 ratio. Put simply, if you are shooting something that is 1cm it is reproduced on your camera's sensor at 1cm.


A while back I perused various photographic sites looking for a macro lens with the intention of learning macro. Whilst there are a few I would like, Nikon's 105mm springs to mind, they can get a little spendy. After some sulking and desperate searching down the back of the couch for money, or winning lottery ticket, I came to the conclusion as this was to be a learning experience, and I'm just a poor boy...(singing now aren't ya?) I'd be better not spending too much. I lucked out at the time as the already cheapest lens I could find happened to have a further discount to it...anyway, long story not quite so long, I got the Nikon AF-S DX Micro Nikkor 40mm f/2.8G.

Since getting the lens I have thrown it onto my camera a couple of times to get to know it, to get used to things like the limited depth of field involved when using such short focal distances. The following images are from my first couple of plays with it, one test was outdoor with natural light, the other was indoor having to use a slow shutter speed to battle terrible lighting...and the fact I'd forgot my batteries for my flash unit!






Ian
http://facebook.com/guffoggthegeek
http://twitter.com/guffoggthegeek

No comments:

Post a Comment