Wednesday, 11 May 2016

Where When How Wednesday - Rara Goes Roar

Welcome to 'Where When How Wednesday'. In these weekly posts I'll be interviewing creatives about their journey into the creative world, their works, and what makes them tick. This week I'm interviewing Rara Goes Roar, a talented model based in Plymouth.



Thank you for taking the time to answer some questions. We should probably start at the beginning...when and how did you come about getting into the world of modelling?

"I got into this by pure accident as I started all this on the other side of the camera. I was doing my A-Level in Media and Photography and part of the assignment was to take photos for a magazine cover and I required a model. I was willing to pay them so that I could get the best images but when they turned up, they just wouldn't do what I asked, which was do a nice smile down the camera and a couple fashion shots. So I instead set up the camera and lights and took photos of myself. The photo's weren't terrible and as a joke, I posted the images on a Facebook group, not expecting much to come out of it. Instead, I woke up to 100+ friend requests, messages and notifications from people wanting to shoot. I did a few TF shoots (all images I hope never see the light of day) until I started shooting with some amazingly talented people. That's how I got hooked and took it more seriously."



Photography, modelling and their related skills, as with most things, can have their share of problems. I personally have a particular problem with self confidence. This confidence issue can and has caused me issues with my photography. Do you find any aspects of modelling particularly challenging?

"I think what has been most challenging out of modelling was getting ill with Septicaemia last year, where it took over my face. I managed to somehow still get shoots but I didn't look good and I ended up getting some serious abuse from those in the industry, some who made such thoughtless comments. I now have to deal with the scars which are very much fading, but it knocked my confidence."



Most things, especially online, tend to fall into specific genres and/or gets described as being a specific style. The trouble with this is it's quite subjective, the style someone views an something to be can often differ to the style the person creating it views it as. How would you describe the work you are putting out there?

"I think my work is quite unique in its style. I am not one thing or another and that is what I love about it. I have tattoos which would come under alternative, but then I have a "cute" face which isn't alternative. I like to mix things up a bit, so do some bridal boudoir sets with a  storm trooper mask. Its all fun for me as long as I get to have a giggle along the way!"



In my series 'Foto Inspiration Friday' I share the people, images, places etc that I find give me inspiration. Who, or what, or where do you draw inspiration from?

"I don't know how I get inspiration because I always just think of things. Its a really odd concept I guess but because I have a really creative mind (unfortunately I just can't draw), I tend to just write down ideas as soon as I think of them and come back in a weeks or so time and see if I like them again. Because it is summer though, I am really getting ideas of the whole "summer boho" look, so all hippy and gypsy with henna and beach hair. I would love to do some images like that this year!"


Sometimes images hold a special significance to us. It can be the first image we ever made, it can be an image drawing attention to a cause close to our hearts, it can simply be an image of someone we love. Do you have an image or images that hold a special significance to you?



"This photo means the most to me, taken recently by the wonderful Madliz (Liz Coles). This is a photo of myself and my partner. I have always wanted us to do a shoot together and I was so surprised when he said yes. This photo reminds me every day that no matter how bad or upsetting things get, he is always by my side to hold me and make me feel better."


Photoshoots can sometimes leave you open to scary or funny situations. What's the scariest or funniest situation you've found yourself in on a shoot?

"Oh I have had some really scary times on shoots as well as funny. I guess I have had a very creepy shoot when I was shooting on the outskirts on London where we were in a abandoned factory. Now I freaking hate huge buildings like this as you have no idea who is around and in here, we could hear chanting, like people genuinely chanting something. I was on my own for five minutes and literally hated it because I had no idea who was around! I have also shot around an abandoned asylum and things there got creepy too!"



We've talked about your start, we've talked about your current work, let's quickly chat about the future. What have you got coming up this year, more of the same? any special projects? And in regards to a more long term plan, where are you hoping your creative journey will take you in the years to come?

"Oh I am planning on touring a lot this year as its my last proper year modelling before I start my degree. I am also hoping to get into the final of British Beauty for the Great British Tattoo Convention in London. I am doing my first tattoo show as well with my sponsors Cap'n Jacks Tattoo Shack. I am also doing a few make up courses to try and get better at doing make up. I would love to do a few beach shoots this year to unleash my inner hippy! Long term wise, oh I like to see where this whole thing takes me. I don't plan things like that but I want to enjoy this journey as much as I can!"



When I speak to photographers I ask about their gear, it's only fair you get to geek out too...do you have any go to items you can't live without?

"Oh that is easy- lingerie! I am an absolute sucker for good lingerie and must buy 5 new sets at least every month. I was lucky to have been given an Agent Provocateur set on a shoot and it was the most stunning set going."


Now for the shameless self promotion part of the interview...where can people find you and your work?

"I am currently everywhere so here are the links instead-
Facebook- https://www.facebook.com/raragoesroar
Instagram- https://www.instagram.com/rara_goes_roar_model
Twitter- https://twitter.com/RoarRara
YouTube- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgJz38JhuyCxqIrBsbY5j0w
WordPress- https://raragoesroarmodel.wordpress.com
Purpleport- http://purpleport.com/portfolio/raragoesroar"


I'd like to thank Rara again for taking the time to answer a few questions for me, be sure to check out all of the links for more of her work.

All images used with photographers permission. Creatives involved, in order of appearance: (Image 1 & 2) Photographer - Ayad Al-Adnani, (Image 3 & 4) Photographer - Liz Cole MUA - Tracey Graham, (Image 5) Photographer - Liz Cole, (Image 6 & 7) Photographer - Ed Choo.


Ian
http://facebook.com/guffoggthegeek
http://twitter.com/guffoggthegeek

No comments:

Post a Comment