Friday, 25 September 2015

Body Shaming...I Don't Get It!?

This is a weird post for me, not necessarily because of the subject matter, but because of what brought it about. The other day whilst browsing the Daily Mail website (I know...don't judge me!) there was an article about Kylie Jenner, she was in a swimsuit, I think that was pretty much the crux of the article. Anyway, in the comments section for the article was countless comments body shaming her, and/or accusing her of photoshopping the image. Up to now I've never really had strong feelings about the Kardashian/Jenner clan one way or the other...I've never seen Kim's 'video', I've never followed them on social media, I've only recently seen some of 'Keeping Up With The Kardashians'. Basically, I know they exist and are successful in their own way, to which I think fair play to them. Despite my indifference towards the family, when I read the disrespectful, offensive comments, often by people over twice her age, it troubled me.

This problem isn't exclusive to the Kardashian/Jenner's. Countless celebrities go through it, many models on the networking sites I am part of go through it, and many 'normal' people also go through it. It just so happened to be the Kylie Jenner article that made me wonder (I'm often oblivious, but occasionally, I have a brainwave!)...why do you do it? What do you get from it?

When I was younger I went through a chubby phase, I was bullied because of it, even by members of my own family. Still now, at a relatively average build, I dislike my appearance...chances are I could look like Dwayne Johnson and still not be happy. If we're honest I think everyone has something they dislike about themselves, and chances are we've all had something said about our appearance that has hurt us. Now, this may make me naive, but I can't understand why people would actively perpetuate this behaviour. Why, when you've been hurt yourself, would you actively try hurt someone else the same way? How would you feel if that person then went on to hurt your son, daughter or partner in the way you hurt them, using the excuse 'well it happened to me'? Then there's the cases where the comments cut someone so deeply that they hurt themselves...would/do you feel responsible for the outcome your actions have caused? Again, if someone had made the comments to your son, daughter, or partner and they hurt themselves, would you blame the person all the while not seeing an issue when you do it?

Life is a hard enough thing to navigate as it is. What with job troubles, money troubles, health problems etc, it's a minefield of stuff all designed to break us. Why, instead of banding together and helping each other out for the short time we're here, must we try cut each other down for 10 seconds of self gratification. It sounds cheesy but at the end of the day, everyone is beautiful, and everyone's a bona fide miracle...seriously, the odds of you being born were something like 1 in 10 to the power of 2,685,000.


Ian
facebook.com/guffoggthegeek
twitter.com/guffoggthegeek

No comments:

Post a Comment